> It is not reasonable to ask everyone to install Acroread, or anything else
> that is not available by default when you buy a computer from Office Depot.
> You would have to send out an instruction sheet and call a parents meeting
> to explain why this is necessary. You think that they will do this just for
> you?

Well, I think I misread the OP. I thought the issue was submitting
homework. In that case the only one who needs a PDF reader is the
teacher... I returned to the original post now - my mistake.

I have had very little problem *reading* not terribly complicated Word docs
in OOO in the last ten years or so. The formatting may be screwed up a
little, but you generally don't miss stuff. As the latest example I had to
go over a legal contract in the last few days, and LibreOffice did it
wonderfully, tracking changes and all.  Are home assignments much more
complicated than that?

I am sure you know infinitely more about OOO than I do, so I'll defer. ;-)

No. The principal correctly assumes that most parents have a computer with
> MS Office. This is a reasonable assumption.

Why? Forget Linux. Do Macs come with Word pre-installed (today)? How much
does an Office license cost (e.g., if one runs it in WINE)?

Another stupid question: why doesn't the school publish assignments on the
web? Should be much easier than to email them?

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | o...@goldshmidt.org