On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:45:26AM +0200, guy keren wrote:

> running "strace" on an suid binary - ignores the 'suid' bit. so the
> test with strace is not relevant.

Indeed, and to strace programs that do this, I do something like that:
Open a root shell:
# echo $$
let's say it printed 1234, so its pid is 1234

Open another root shell:
# strace -f -o /tmp/trace1 -p 1234

Now, inside 1234 run what you need to debug.
'strace -f -p pid' does follow correctly the uid changes caused by
suid binaries and setuid etc.

Some years ago I played a bit with the more obvious
# strace -f su - user -c program
which then did not work well. Not sure if this was changed. '-f -p pid'
always worked for me.

Sorry I can't comment about the actual OP quesion, but just a guess -
perhaps it's on nfs?
--
Didi