Have you considered using xvfb and vnc to it, or you absolutely have to do it on a real display?

On 02/27/2012 09:05 PM, Micha wrote:

For a project I'm working on at the moment, I need to be able to log in remotely to a machine (via ssh) and start a blank x-server. That is, to just initialize the display, with not cursor or window manager, to allow for creating a single full screen window for display. I seem to recall that just running X as a user used to do it, up to the no cursor part, leaving an empty (hetched) screen and running the content of .xsession or something like that. Things on modern systems seems to have changed enough with all the xsession / gdm / gnome etc. that it doesn't seem to happen properly.

Any idea how I can achieve that on a modern system (red hat enterprise desktop 6 in this case).

thanks