On Apr 5, 2012, at 12:35 PM, Jonathan Ben Avraham wrote:

I think that it would be best if kernels were released with the list of compiler types and versions under which they were tested before release. It is not useful to pretend that there is no necessary connection between particular GCC versions and particular kernel versions. The compiler is in fact a part of the running kernel.

Around 2000, Intel went into the business of selling Linux compilers. You could use them free (as in beer, not FOSS) for personal use.

Their C compiler had special code in it to detect that you were compiling a Linux Kernel and it reproduced the bugs in GCC to match it. :-)

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(