On Wednesday, 6 בJune 2012 12:57:06 Eli Billauer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd just like to get your input before I do something stupid. The idea,
> anyhow, is to create a git repository on my system's root directory, and
> add many of the system's configuration files (e.g. some of /etc/) for
> tracking.

If you want this route, why re-invent the wheel?
 http://joeyh.name/code/etckeeper

> This sounds a bit bizarre even to me, but my question is: Do you see
> anything bad that could happen?

Personally, for many years I'm maintaining a *selection* of /etc files
in RCS (i.e: create /etc/RCS, /etc/sysconfig/RCS, etc.)
Why this bizzare selection?
 * Originally, I used it also on many legacy Unices (HP-UX, Solaris, SGI)
   and it's the easiest solution I can install on a variety of OS's

 * A more important feature (IMO), is that RCS is handling only single files.
   This means that checking out an older version of specific file, cannot
   change (by mistake), other managed files.

I was also thinking about moving to etckeeper (or similar) solution, but
didn't do anything about it yet...

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
o...@actcom.co.il                  http://users.actcom.co.il/~oron