On Jun 14, 2012, at 2:20 AM, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
As nobody gave a better answer:

Thanks.

AFAIK, there are standard AT commands for that. Thus you should give a
shot to e.g. gnokii.

Yes, that helped immensely. Looking for generic AT command software, I found gammu, which does the job I needed from a command line, and wammu, GUI front end.

(for someone seeing this in the future)

Once I was able to configure the port for the modem, all I needed to do was:

        gammu backup <file name>

swap SIMs and then:

        gammu addnew <file name>

This backed up all the contacts in my SIM and put them in the new one.

I did add instead of replace so that the customer service number, voicemail and SMS center (for sending SMS's) were kept. I then had to manually delete the old voicemail number. The new SIM is for a different company (Golan versus Orange).

You can do the deletion with Wammu, in the backup file with a text editor, or on the phone itself.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
To put it in terms everyone understands, the US debt is over 275 Facebooks.