On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Michael Shiloh <
michaelshiloh1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/11/2012 12:28 PM, Nadav Har'El wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 11, 2012, Erez D wrote about "which filesystem":
>>
>>> hello
>>>
>>> i have and external USB hard-drive size 2TB, mounted as ext4. (ubuntu
>>> 10.10
>>> amd64)
>>> every time there is a power failure. i need to do a manual fsck on this
>>> disk. and this takes around an hour ...
>>>

>> I have a 2 TB disk with ext3, and I don't have anything close to the 1
>> hour
>> boots you report (even one minute looks excessive).
>>
>> Both ext3 and ext4 are journalling filesystems, meaning that after power
>> failures, only a relatively small "journal" of the last modifications
>> needs to be replayed, rather than going through the entire disk.
>>
>> Is it possible your filesystem for some reason has journalling disabled,
>> or improperly configured? Try "tune2fs -l" on your filesystem and look
>> for suspicious parameters. Look at "Filesystem features" and verify
>> there is "has_journal". See that it doesn't force a full fsck every time
>> ("Maximum mount count" can very well be -1 and "check interval" 0).
>>

> Might also be the disk going bad - perhaps check with the S.M.A.R.T.
> utility smartmontools

erez@h53:~$ sudo smartctl /dev/sdb3 --all
smartctl 5.40 2010-03-16 r3077 [x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

Device: WD       My Book 1110     Version: 2003
Serial number: WCAVY4118123
Device type: disk
Local Time is: Sun Aug 12 11:28:16 2012 IDT
Device does not support SMART

Error Counter logging not supported
No self-tests have been logged
erez@h53:~$