did you try to break it down to sub-components?

i.e. on the source machine copy from the USB to a ramdisk - what's the sthroughput?

then try to write on the USB on the other machine from a ramdisk - what's the throughput?

then use netperf to check the throughput of the network between the two machines.

--guy