(List answer)
What problems did you have with recent motherboards?
I have generally had very little to no problems with recent stuff,
although it obviously depends on what technologies are being used.

On my new laptop the installation was less fun but this was/is mainly
due to UEFI, the way it boots things (it wouldn't boot my bootable
disk-on-key, but simple bootable disk-on-keys worked [mine has
multiple OS'es/distros]).

The Intel H61 series chipset is certified to work with Ubuntu since
11.10 as is the H77 obviously that does not cover the additional
components on the board but it's a start

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/catalog/make/Intel%20Corporation/?page=5

I suspect that what will give and gave most problems recently is the
UEFI which changes the way we treat how our computer boots:
- You have to have a vfat boot partition of ~250MiB at the beginning
of the disk (mount at /boot/efi and _not_ at /boot, you can have a
separate /boot too though)
- The disk needs to use got and not a dos partiton table etc.
Basically a lot of our skills at booting a system have become obsolete...

Regards,