Do you see a text screen with a *text* cursor or a *mouse* cursor?
If it's the former, I can't see how this could be KDE or Gnome
related...

No, I see a black screen with a working X windows mouse cursor.

Try looking in /var/log for any X server messages, or try to run X
yourself (startx) to see if you can see any hints of what's wrong.

In xsession-errors I found the problem. Sometime in 12.04's maintenance a bug was introduced to Gnome on Intel GMA-950 video cards.

It was not in the 12.10 release, but was propagated between Wednesday when I installed it, and Saturday night when I upgraded it.

It runs of of space somewhere, the diagnostic message makes it look like disk space but it is in the video card itself. Although the bugs filed are for Gnome, using KDM and KDE did not fix it.

Since I had made a backup before I ran the update, I restored my system and it works fine. I won't be upgrading again for a while.

Meanwhile, any suggestions for a more stable distro.

This, Dotan, is the reason why I said NO ONE can warranty that Linux, especially UBUNTU will run on a computer.

While I don't think anyone sells GMA 950's any more, I would not be surprised if this bug also affects other Intel display chip drivers. If it is the case and you had bought 4 computers last week after testing them with the UBUNTU (or any variant of it) live CD, and installed it on them today, you would have 4 useless computers and or a big headache. :-(

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
"Owning a smartphone: Technology's equivalent to learning to play