Hi, I'm looking for a "cloud backup" solution for Linux, where I'll be
able to use "rsync", "sftp" (and similar utilities) to a remote server
to back up by files, and when needed, look at individual files (e.g.,
using sshfs) or restore all my files.

I am *not* looking for a solution based on special purpose (and usually,
closed source) utilities or daemons that attempt to decide for me what to
back up and when - I want to be of full control of this process.

For the last 3 years, I've been using the services of "rsync.net", and
they're doing exactly what I want. However, the storage price I pay them
is 40 cents per gigabyte per month, is 4 times that of Amazon's, so I
think there must be a cheaper solution.

One thing I've been thinking - wouldn't it be fairly easy to store my
files on Amazon's S3 or even more simply EBS, and then run rsync server
on a micro instance on EC2? Sounds like a cheap, convenient backup
solution for Linux diehards like myself, and I wonder if anyone has
done this before and then I won't need to code this myself?

Thanks,
Nadav.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |      Saturday, Feb 23 2013, 13 Adar 5773