On 04/01/2013 10:12 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
I use Bezeq for my infrastructure and Bezeq Beinleumi for my ISP.
Every hour or two my internet connection is disconnected. It will
remain so until I unplug the modem and plug it back in. Connected to
the modem is a D-Link DIR-320 router, which connects my Ubuntu machine
via cable and various other devices (laptop, Nook, Android phone) via
wireless.

If your infrastructure was upgraded from an aDSL-2 to vDSL/aDSL-2 combination units, you need to upgrade your modem. You can tell, by the maximum speed BEZEQ can offer you. If it is 15m or less it is aDSL-2, if it is more, than the hardware was upgraded.

The problem is the upgraded hardware does not do aDSL-2 very well, and you should upgrade to vDSL.

BEZEQ does not tell people this when they make the upgrade.

While you are at it, you should upgrade your router. It's going to have all sorts of problems running out of space for routing tables, and very likely does not reset NAT tables when the line drops.

I have had really good results with a D-Link 6740vn router from BEZQ which has an integrated vDSL modem.

It's nice because you can log into the router and check the speed and quality of the DSL connection. You can even run BERT (bit error rate) tests "on the fly".

Note that almost no one in Israel had an aDSL connection to their central office. BEZEQ quietly replaced every line they could, and are still working on the rest with fiber optic connections. Each connection is 100mBit and gets split "at the corner" to DSL lines.

So your actual DSL connection is a most a few hundred meters, and often a lot less.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
It's Spring here in Jerusalem!!!