On 7/2/2013 7:49 PM, Micha Feigin wrote:
Hi All,

I'm was wondering if anyone here can recommend a hardware / driver combo
for WIFI that allows access to the low level signal. I'm looking to do
some non-communication related research (uni stuff) that requires
sending custom signals over WIFI frequencies (to avoid FCC limitations),
and I was hoping that there is some existing hardware that I can hack at
the driver level instead of building complex hardware (which I have, but
getting a high enough accuracy starts getting pretty expensive).

I'm not looking to bypass power/frequency limitations, just to send
custom signals over one of the WIFI channels.

That would not be legal without an amateur radio or experimental transmitter license.

You are not legally permitted to modify a WiFi device to transmit more than 100mW EIRP, operate on the legal 2.4 and 5.8 gHz channels allocated to WIFI and use any other modulation or data encoding.

You mention FCC limitations. They are different than Israeli ones as far as EIRP, but basically the same about modification of devices. Of course ISRAELI laws apply here and region 1 IARC rules.

If you are in an under FCC jurisdiction, that would be covered by region 2 IARC rules and be aware that the FCC has a very active enforcement division and would be glad to slap you with a $10,000 fine for each violation they detect.

Sorry.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379