(if you top-post, so will I!  ;)

driving the "old prius" myself (it's actualy the 2nd or 3rd generation of prius - but who's counting? :) - a few observations:

- the car has its algorithms - but you can "interfere".
- when driving fully down-hill, the car usually turns the engine off, regardless of EV mode. this is most noticeable when you go down hill at a high speed (70kmh and above). just get your foot off the accelerator... - when going down hill, sometimes the prius decides not to turn off the gasoline engine. in these cases, moving to 'B' causes it to turn off the gasoline engine (while also avoiding the car accelerating too much). i use this feature often when leaving home. - the amount of gasoline the card will use varies greatly with the driving style and the speed of driving.

some surprising observation: when driving through an "accordion pkak" (where you keep accelerating to 30-50kmh and then deccelerating back to 10-20kmh and so on) - if done correctly, the Prius consumes the same amount of fuel per km as it does when driving at ~95kmh fixed speed on a flat road.

don't be so hard on the engineers behind the prius - just learn to play along with them.

--guy