a few observations:

- forget about honda insight. it is not very fuel-efficient.

- the Prius can give you about the same gasoline consumption as a small manual car (such as the alto, the i10, etc.). this is true both in-town and out-of-town.

- one of the reasons that the Prius is much more efficient then petrol cars of comperable size - is that its fewl/electricity consumption/generation GUI encourages you to drive more efficiently. you will notice that most Prius owners don't drive very fast - much rarer then with drivers in other cars of comparable size.

now, to some numbers:

I live in haifa, and drive often up and down-hill. unlike jerusalem, where there are many long not-very-steep roads , in haifa drives are usually shorter, and steeper.

my mother, who drove almost only inside the city (haifa), got to a fuel consumption of ~15.5km/l. using the same car, i get to around 17.5km/l - because i drive more outside the city (on flater and faster roads).

when driving on the haifa-tel-aviv road, in various driving conditions (except when during a *very* slow jam where you hardly move) - going a little better then 20km/l is achieveable - unless i'm very late and drive too fast (and then it can go down to 15.5-16km/l).

regarding the hybrid toyota yaris - i've no idea, as i don't know anyone that owns this car.

if you consider buying a hybrid card - you'll do well to consider an older card (a 3-4 year old car) - it is more economical.

regarding the need to replace its batery - the price of the batery is not that expensive any more (as far as i know - less then 10K NIS - i heard figures between 6K and 14K - and it's hard to know who to believe - i can ask the car repair shop next time i go for the yearly treatment), and you will probably not need to replace it too early. in any event, the battery comes with an 8-year/150K-km guarantee from the manufacturer.

--guy