Hi Erez,
In the implementation that I worked on, we used iptables to route unauthenticated HTTP to a proxy (Hughes libHTTPd) on the AP which then presented the client with a page from some upstream payment gateway. Once the client was authenticated, we changed the iptables rules to allow direct routing of all packets. I am not so proud of this design. It was a hack that we slapped together quickly. You might be better served by looking at http://www.chillispot.org/.

 - yba

On Mon, 26 May 2014, Erez D wrote:

Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 12:51:21 +0300
From: Erez D <erez0...@gmail.com>
To: Jonathan Ben Avraham <y...@tkos.co.il>
Cc: linux-il <linux-il@cs.huji.ac.il>
Subject: Re: partly OT: notification of url when connecting to open wifi

Jonathan, if we are talking about walled garden/captive portal
implementation under linux, i'll take the opportunity to ask something
related.

how does the AP redirect every web access to the login page (for "non
accepted" clients)
i guess using a transparent proxy with a redirection page, am i correct ?
if i am correct, i would like to know:
1. does the AP allow real DNS access, or does it return the IP of the
AP for every dns query. (and if so what about DNS cache ?)
2. what "webserver/proxy" is used to return the same redirect answer
to every requested url