On 7/6/2014 10:50 PM, Shlomi Fish wrote:
Anyway, the GPLv3 or whatever licence the GNU sub-projects have does not prevent me from using GNU software, so that's it.
The interesting point is that outside of a relatively small group of developers project GNU has no bearing on anything. Free (as in beer) software existed long before RMS, open source software, including operating systems, existed long before Linux, or even BSD. And it continues to exist long after.

I doubt that anyone one this list, or any other list for that matter, runs 100% GPL licensed software on their computers. They may be running only free and open source software, but I am sure some of it has a BSD type, or other license.

So to answer the question someone posed, would we be running the same thing as we are now if RMS never existed? Probably not. Something very close, YES. Would LINUX have existed? Maybe. Maybe Linus would have spent his time improving the free. open source, BSD instead. We actually may have been doing better because a lot of time and effort was spent in the 1990's producing GPL'ed version of BSD utilites that could have been spent elsewhere.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 4X1GM/N3OWJ
Jerusalem Israel.