Hi Elazar,

I find that malloc failure checking is vital (within the user program) even
on a regular system with gigabytes of memory. For example, when the program
gets into a recursive loop which allocates memory and then digs deeper. In
other cases, It is useful to check the return value of malloc when the
program input size is unlimited, and it is better to inform the user about
the too-large element of the input rather than to crash.

I do not understand, however, how memory overcommitment leads you to not
require malloc to fail. Maybe when you say overcommitment you do not mean
what I mean, but in our scenario[1] of memory overcommitment, where memory
balloon drivers are used, we configured the memory allocations to fail when
there was not enough physical memory, so that the guest application would
be able to tell when there is memory pressure. Otherwise, the burden of
handling memory pressure is laid purely on the operating system itself.

[1]  Ginseng: Market-Driven Memory Allocation
<http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~ladypine/vee18-agmon-ben-yehuda.pdf>, Orna
Agmon Ben-Yehuda, Eyal Posener, Muli Ben-Yehuda, Assaf Schuster, Ahuva
Mu'alem. In proceedings of VEE 2014.

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda.
http://ladypine.org