You may have to set a scan mode on the device too, friends of mine
have a Canon all-in-one which needs to be 'told' that a remote device
will be in charge of scanning whenever they want to scan.... (Since
apparently on windows you can just press the scan button on the
scanner and it will open the scanning program on the computer....)

HTH,
Eliyahu - אליהו