Good day ,

On Tuesday 15 December 2015 13:55:19 Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:
> Boris Shtrasman  writes:
>
> > Let me explain , the 3.2 version and 4.2 are sitting in different
> > branches
>
> Both are available from wheezy (with apt-get install -t wheezy to be sure)

I  did a minor test on a amd64 arch again , setting up only wheezy and
stable/updates

apt-get update

Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates InRelease

Ign http://http.debian.net wheezy InRelease
Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main amd64 Packages
Hit http://http.debian.net wheezy Release.gpg
Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main i386 Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Translation-en
Hit http://http.debian.net wheezy Release
Hit http://http.debian.net wheezy/main amd64 Packages
Hit http://http.debian.net wheezy/main i386 Packages
Hit http://http.debian.net wheezy/main Translation-en
Reading package lists... Done

checking about 4.2:

apt-cache policy linux-image-4.2
linux-image-4.2.0-1-amd64:
 Installed: 4.2.6-3
 Candidate: 4.2.6-3
 Version table:
*** 4.2.6-3 0
       100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

compare the result to 3.2 :

apt-cache policy linux-image-3.2
linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64:
 Installed: (none)
 Candidate: 3.2.68-1+deb7u3
 Version table:
    3.2.68-1+deb7u3 0
       500 http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy/main amd64 Packages
linux-image-3.2.0-4-rt-amd64-dbg:
 Installed: (none)
 Candidate: 3.2.68-1+deb7u3
 Version table:
    3.2.68-1+deb7u3 0
       500 http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy/main amd64 Packages
linux-image-3.2.0-4-rt-amd64:
 Installed: (none)
 Candidate: 3.2.68-1+deb7u3
 Version table:
    3.2.68-1+deb7u3 0
       500 http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy/main amd64 Packages
linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64-dbg:
 Installed: (none)
 Candidate: 3.2.68-1+deb7u3
 Version table:
    3.2.68-1+deb7u3 0
       500 http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy/main amd64 Packages
linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64:
 Installed: (none)
 Candidate: (none)
 Version table:
    3.2.20-1 0
       100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

As I mentioned before please share your sources.list , or the output of apt-get
update.
If you can add the results for apt-cache policy linux-image-4.2 that might
clear my confusion

I think it might benefit you to use a local server (example mirror.isoc.org.il
) which would be close to your setup and not the redirector because when I
tried to use it with a vpn in Israel (with an Israeli vpn) I was allegedly sent
to http://mirror.datacenter.by/debian/
(according to http://http.debian.net/demo.html)

Requesting a package from a distribution  without setting preferences or exact
version has a good chance that the dependencies will be taken from packages
with the highest priority available (most recent version).
you could use the preferences file I sent you as a good start, alternatively
you can work with pinning version; but in any case sharing your sources along
with providing the output for apt-cache policy linux-image-4.2 would clear some
of the question I raised.

> but 4.2 does not install as described. Answering your other
> questions, it is not a weird or intriguing setup. It is an official
> mirror.

I'm sorry but having 4.2 in wheezy *without* backports or some manual setting
is intriguing results for me.

> They also cheerfully sit together in
> http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/linux.

That is not how mirrors work , when several brands/dists reside on the same
server they will have files by section (in this case main) but packages will
point to the correct location.
what you need to look into the release and Packages files (to see what is
included and how it works)

For wheezy / master :

$wget http://ftp.cz.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy/main/binary-i386/Packages.bz2
$bunzip2 Packages.bz2
$grep Package Packages | grep linux-image
Package: linux-image-3.2.0-4-486
Package: linux-image-3.2.0-4-686-pae
Package: linux-image-3.2.0-4-686-pae-dbg
Package: linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64
Package: linux-image-3.2.0-4-rt-686-pae
Package: linux-image-3.2.0-4-rt-686-pae-dbg
Package: linux-image-2.6-486
Package: linux-image-2.6-686
Package: linux-image-2.6-686-bigmem
Package: linux-image-2.6-686-pae
Package: linux-image-2.6-amd64
Package: linux-image-486
Package: linux-image-686
Package: linux-image-686-bigmem
Package: linux-image-686-pae
Package: linux-image-amd64
Package: linux-image-rt-686-pae

> > In most cases it is no hussle as long as you relaying on
> > stable/testing unstable and having an updated system , for example you
> > have stable + stable/updates
>
> That's what it is (no testing though). But it does not work. :-(

wheezy is old-stable not stable.