Hi there,

I think it's time to move some of my sites to use https, but as I only had
self-signed ssl so far I wonder if you ppl have any recommendation where to
get the certificate from and how much
should I expect to pay?

I have one domain with about 20 subdomains (the translated versions of my
articles)
and a few other domains with 1-2, sometimes even more subdomains.

Most of them are probably considered commercial as they have ads on it and
on some of them I even have a few subscribers, but they are, unfortunately,
not a big business. Nevertheless I think this might exclude some "open
source" providers.

I looked at http://www.cacert.org/ but as I can see the certificate they
use on their own site is not recognized by either Chrome or Firefox. That
does not seem to be a good thing. (See https://www.cacert.org/ )

A found plenty of companies offering SSL certificates. One of them
https://www.ssl.com/
that was recommended by the domain registrar I am using had
$177 / year for the first 3 hostname and then $49 / year for each
additional hostname and $129/year for each wildcard domain.

Is that a reasonable price? Any suggestions?

regards
   Gabor