What exact model of TP-Link have you got?
I have a TP-Link AC1750 ADSL2+ modem router which is great except that
OpenWRT doesn't support this specific model's WiFi well (see multiple
"Notes" in https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c5-c7-wdr7500)
So I'm half-heartedly on the lookout for something to run OpenWRT or VyOS
on, with 1Gb ethernet and 802.11ac WiFi and which can be used to do smart
and efficient routing especially over OpenVPN tunnels.

<http://au.linkedin.com/in/gliderflyer>