Please don't be offended but my first reaction to the title was
"hasn't this been done years ago?"
And after quickly reading I understand that some guy reverse
engineered a network protocol or just listened to the traffic and
wrote a CLI program that 'talks' the same 'language' which is kind of
anti-climactic....

What was done a few years ago: someone replaced the firmware in their
'dumb' coffee machines and added a serial interface or somethings
similar allowing them to control the machine from their home server
running whatever.... basically the precursor to the ready made smart
coffee machine....

Regards שבת שלום,
Eliyahu - אליהו