In the debian world a machine used to ship with exim4, Ubuntu Server
prefers postfix afaik but sendmail is also available through apt.

Basically there's a ton of SMTP servers out there and you'll have to
do that very hard thing: choose ;)
A lot has been written comparing them and all of them are I believe
well documented.

Good luck,
Eliyahu - אליהו