Complementing the time line:

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:56:13AM +0200, Geoffrey Mendelson wrote:
> On 11/20/2017 11:20 AM, Vladimir Vainer wrote:
> > Can you provide more information on  Israel-Palestine controversy as it
> > applies to Open Office?
>
> Time Line:
>
> Arab League passes a boycott of Israel. (this will become important later)
>
> Oslo accords create Palestinian Authority.  The PA sends workers and medical
> patients to Israel, gets most of its water, electricity, food, cooking gas,
> building supplies, etc from Israel (no boycott).
>
> Palestinians bombard Sderot with rockets and mortars.
>
> Sderot builds underground kindergarden (gan)
>
> Larry Ellison (CEO of Oracle) donates money to extend kindergarden with
> underground playground, one of many things in Israel he funded.

2010:

Jan: Oracle buys Sun (owner of OpenOffice.org). Renames it
OracleOpenOffice.

Sep: The majority of the developers community forks. LibreOffice is
born. They form The Document Foundation.

2011:

Apr: Oracle annonces it will abandon development of OpenOffice. At the
time LibreOffice has already turned out to be a more vibrant
alternative. But there was still something of a development community
behind the Oracle project (and a third, competing, one, led by former
OO.o developers).

Jun: Oracle announces it will move OpenOffice to the Apache Foundation.

> Palestinain businessman invites (and I assume pays) RMS to speak on FOSS. He
> requires that RMS does not speak in Israel or meet with israelis on that
> trip. Note that RMS could have flown to Aman, taken a taxi to the Alenby
> Bridge and a Palestinian taxi to where he wanted to in the P.A. without ever
> entering Israel.
>
> RMS chooses to fly to Ben Gurion and enter the PA via Israel.
>
> RMS announces, using his email account as President of the FSF that he will
> honor the (nonexistent (see above)) boycott of Israel.

RMS visited Israel in Jul-2011. He also gave two talks in Israel proper,
though not one of them was in a university.

> Oracle was going to divest its interest in Open Office. The original plan
> was to donate it to the FSF.

Huh? Have you any evidence of that? Any mails exchanged from people at
Oracle with the FSF or whoever?

At the time IBM put pressure on Oracle to donate the code to Apache
instead of following the developers community (who eventually formed The
Document Foundation). The FSF had no real affiliation with the practical
fork of OO.o (ooo-build / go-oo), that has already established TDF as a
legal entity.

See e.g.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/what-the-heck-is-happening-with-openoffice-update/

> Ellison (obviously upset by RMS's boycott) donates Open Office to the Apache
> Foundation.

This is not so clear to me.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzaf...@jabber.org | VIM is