Tzafrir Cohen <tzaf...@cohens.org.il> writes:

>> The problem is that whatever I do in stop() (or by hand), e.g.,
>>
>> * ifconfig eth3 down
>> * ifdown --force eth3 (and --no-scripts, and whatever - on Debian)
>> * ip link set eth3 down
>
> Why don't you stop the interface with 'ifdown'? Also: why not use ip
> (and generally: iproute2 tools) everywhere?

None of them work (in the sense described in the original post - no
difference in the output of ifconfig before and after). I tried all of
them, as hinted in the quoted part above.

> "auto" only means this interface is to be started at boot. So it indeed
> should be irrelevant.

I know. I was clutching at straws. Interfaces marked "auto" are treated
specially in some sense (e.g., ifup -a), so I tried to see if there was
any difference. None.

I also gre suspicious about scripts under /etc/network/if-*.d/ so I
tried ifdown --no-scripts (in addition to --force), in vain.

Let me also emphasize that the actual code in our scripts does not
matter because things do not work when I run commands by hand, either.

Thanks,

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | p...@goldshmidt.org