I see what you're doing, but don't see how this would solve my
problem. Moving from pop3 to imap would not change the fact that
Google is not allowing me to login. And most probably, Ori is correct
in his opinion that the problem is the login to Google services - not
to pop3.

Or do you think that procmail would be allowed to login where claws is
not allowed?

Just to remind you of what I wrote in my original post - this has
worked fine for many years and since nothing has changed on my end, I
have no reason to think that pop3 is the problem.