On 2020-04-29 19:06, Gabor Szabo wrote:
>    ps. The camera still does not work, but it does not work in Linux
>    either. So maybe it was already broken when I bought
>    the computer second-hand. Now I'll need to find and buy a small camera
>    that can be attached to it.

Since you say that the machine was pre-owned... You never can tell what
the prior owner may have done. If s/he's available to be asked, great,
but here are some ideas that might save you time and money and
convenience of getting an external camera:

It may be that the prior owner at some point opened up the device, and
that in the course of that the connector to the camera became loose, or
the owner just neglected to re-connect it. Most laptops are pretty easy
for a non-technical person to perform the minor partial dis-assembly
necessary to access and service that connector. Sites such as youtube
have plenty of demonstrations and walk-throughs; you may even find some
specifically for your model, but the industry is a mass-market, and so
it tends to build products very similarly. Typically, you would need to
unscrew several ... screws, then use a blade to separate and pop the
panel surrounding the keyboard, and then carefully move and detach the
keyboard from the motherboard. At that point, you would typically be
looking at an aluminum panel that insulates the motherboard from the
keyboard rf. It should have a bunch of holes, each of which exposes a
connector on the motherboard. Each motherboard connector is typically
labeled pretty obviously (eg. mic, spkr, camera).

A more involved but still doable repair is to replace the internal
camera. Again, there are youtube videos. I did it once just for giggles,
without using any special tools, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Just be patient and follow the instructions.

If I were to do it again, I'd prefer to use the specialty separator tool
instead of using a thin blade, but the thin blade worked.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0