In addition to everything Yuval said, especially about putting the modem
into "bridge" mode -
OpenWRT is a great choice. Alternately, I've been using a Ubiquiti
EdgeRouter-X to do PPPoE. The ER-X is a ~200 NIS Gigabit router with
integrated switch chip. I love these little Ubiquiti devices!
DataSheet: https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/edgemax/EdgeRouter_X_DS.pdf
-mike