The windows 169.25. ip is from APIPA and not from any DHCP server (ipconfig
does not specify a dhcp server).
to be on the safe side I verified udp port 67 is unused on my mac (via
netstat, fuser and socat)

what boggles me is why can't the window machine access the router and get
an ip when the mac is sleeping

as the AP switch is layer 2, i would susspect the switch disables the
windows machin for some reason,
e.g. it sees the same mac address from another port or detects abuse of
somewhat from the windows eth port
however i do not understand how is this related to the mac sleeping

I thought the AP switch maybe defective but puting another GB switch
instead causes the same results ...

why do you thing HOMEGROUP is related ? it is a higher layer protocol when
the problems seems to me on layer 2

Thanks,
Erez