On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, John Rafferty Zedlewski wrote:

> Hi, I've noticed that there are quite a few hardware performance counter
> patches (which allow access to things like the Pentium Model Specific
> Registers for gathering profiling info) floating around, including Rabbit
> (http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/Projects/Rabbit/), Richard Gooch's patches, and
> PAPI (very cool and portable, IMHO).  But I haven't seen any of these that
> supports delivering interrupts when counters overflow (the last version of
> PAPI that I saw provides high-level emulation of this on Linux/x86, but
> it's not really accurate enough for serious work).
>   Is there any other patch that supports overflows on Linux/x86, or is it
> work that still needs to be done?  Monitoring these overflows is the trick
> behind large parts of Intel's VTune and SGI's SpeedShop, and I'd love to
> see a profiler like this come to Linux.  Basically, I'm a student and I
> think it would be an interesting project, but I don't want to re-invent the
> wheel unnecessarily.
>   Thanks a lot!
> --JRZ

It is on its way. I just have to get the profiler I've written through the
university's administration, and it will be available under the GPL. The
approach taken is similar to DCPI, but with some differences.

It still needs some work however, but will prove to be useful I think.

Ask if you want more info.

thanks
john

--