From: "Jeff V. Merkey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Marty,
>
> I think they said they could care less about kernel debuggers.  Just go
> write one, use Keith's or ours or whatever, and do what you want with
> your Linux development -- Linus doesn't seem to care if you just make a
> fork of Linux or someone else does with a debugger for your projects.
> These guys have been debugging and developing their OS over the internet
> for a long time, their debugging methods seem more tied to their
> "telepathic repore" with each other and some very solid and studious
> skills at reviewing code rapidly and a thorough understanding of it.
> They also have the luxury of taking the world at their own pace with
> Linux evolution and have stated no desire to change their philosophy.

Jeff et al who might prefer a kernel debugger,

One should note that when a person or critter is backed into a corner
and pressured hard enough that he makes an "over my dead body"
level statement more pressure is likely to solidify the position rather
than change it. In the case of a critter it is tied up with survival. With a
person it is often tied up with "face". At this point Linus has been led
to making a very strong negative comment about kernel debuggers.
He is pretty much in a position now that "demands" he not change that
opinion lest he appear to be a weak leader. We were all foolish to
back him into a corner.

I see an image of a penguin. He is wearing a bandana around his
forehead and cammie's for clothes. He is armed with an impressive
array of things which carve and cut and things which go bang and
boom and make holes in other things. He is glariing over the top of
a foxhole filled with even more such tools screaming, "You'll have that
kernel debugger in my main Linux build over my cold dead body!"

Now, who makes the cartoon for that one? (And if the penguin had
a superficial resemblance to Linus it'd be DELIGHTFUL!)

{^_-}    Joanne "A crazed maniac herself" Dow, [EMAIL PROTECTED]