On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 01:31:06AM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> You added a linear IP search to fast path ARP processing. The people running
> thousands of IP aliases will surely love you. You could at least use the
> ip_route_input output instead that arp_rcv computes anyways and check
> for RTN_LOCAL.

While you actually  don't get broadcast ARP request very  often (more than a
few per minute is rare), even on a busy net, making it faster doesn't hurt.
I'll write a new patch, thanks.

> BTW, the idea  of doing it in user  space is not to have  a daemon running
> but just to do DAD once when you configure the ip address, like most other
> OSes do  [as easily done  with arping and a  small script, see  ipcfg from
> iproute2].

I know  about this. It  only helps you  not to steal  someone else's  IP, it
doesn't help when someone else just stole your IP.
Take a Solaris box, an IRIX one, or  windows (these are the only ones I have
access to for testing) and they'll all  complain and notice if I steal their
IP.
I find it  useful that a server  syslogs the fact that its  IP was stolen. I
can use that info  to bring up a temporary DHCP IP, and  send a message to a
central  network  monitor which  will  trace  the  culprit MAC  address  and
optionally turn off the switched port it came from.

Marc

Finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP key and other contact information