"Richard B. Johnson" wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Has anybody written a driver for the Western Digital (or similar)
> PCI / Firewire adapter?
>
> If not, I'm going to have to write one. If it doesn't exist yet, should
> the device be a block device or a character device? There are some new
> very-fast disks that now use Firewire so this would seem to imply that
> the most "logically-correct" interface would be a block device. However,
> it's also used for cameras, scanners, printers, etc. Maybe there should
> be a 'firewire core' with some generic devices built around it.

Well, there's already firewire support in general...  It would
definitely be a block device, since Firewire is basically the next SCSI
(large nubers of devices peer-to-peer (i.e. chained and hubless)
architecture, fast communications) witht he major improvements of speed,
connector size and hot-swappability.  Is the firewire driver not
backported to 2.2?  It's definitely in 2.3/2.4 series.