There's a chunky comment near the beginning of filemap_nopage() that after a test and
then following the source seems to me to be untrue:

        /*
         * Semantics for shared and private memory areas are different
         * past the end of the file. A shared mapping past the last page
         * of the file is an error and results in a SIGBUS, while a
         * private mapping just maps in a zero page.
         */

I tried to read past on a MAP_PRIVATE and got a sigbus and the source seems to suggest
no differentiation from MAP_SHARED in this respect.

What are the `correct' semantics?

        Chris Q.