Date:        Tue, 17 Oct 2000 21:32:43 +0200
   From: Andrea Arcangeli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   > Bye, bye, performance. You might as well remove the whole thing
   > completely.

   I don't think that is a common case relevant for performance. I
   seen it only as a case that we must handle without losing
   stability.

Hint: smp_flush_tlb_page()

Current kiobufs never need to do that, under any circumstances.
This is not by accident.

I don't see what the big deal is in requiring that user applications
do their own locking to protect page contents being modified in one
thread while a direct I/O from it is happening in another thread.  I
also don't see why any bug with kiobufs can't be fixed without the
expensive and complex pinning.

Later,
David S. Miller
[EMAIL PROTECTED]