On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Wolf wrote:

> Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 03:15:01 -0500
> From: Wolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: "Shutdown" not shutting down...
>
> I was wondering if someone could explain something to me.  I've got a
> dual-boot Red Hat 6.2/Win95B box, AMD K6-500, NVidia / SGS
> Thomson|Riva128 video card w/8MB memory, BTC-1817 sound card, 64MB RAM,
> and a Phoebe 56K modem.  On the Win95 side, when I shutdown the system
> it goes through the shutdown procedure, and at the end it turns off the
> box.
>
> In Linux, "shutdown -h now" results in Linux going through the process,
> but at the end I get the following:
>
> Call trace: [<c01079ed>] [<c0101a9c>] [<c0107abd>] [<c01089e3>]
> [<c0115057>] [<c01e574a>]
>     [<c011164a>] [<c011017d>] [<c01103bd>] [<c0110c7b>] [<c0111a98>]
> [<c010a008>]
[...]
> Thx,
> Wolf
> -
Wolf,

Could you please try to modify file /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt so that line
eval $command -i -d -p
reads
eval $command -i -d
(this is the last line in file).

Before I had done this on Compaq DeskPro EN at work, the computer were not
properly powered off; instead it was turned off for a fraction of second
and then turned on again, unfortunately in a strange mode with disabled
keyboard (similar to network server mode on compaq BIOSes);
Moreover, power off switch did not work at all, which was quite a pain (to
power off the computer without plugging the power cord off I had to boot
into Windows (was not easy as LILO had to go to default choice, which
was, and is, Linux) and issue shutdown from Windows 95; if you knew me you
would imagine how much disgusting it was for me...)

After the change the computer is not powered off, but power button works
perfectly and the computer in in a normal work condition.

So I understand it was an incompatibility between power management in my
PC and Linux.

As Alan suggested you might have some BIOS problem in your machine, maybe
the solution (or workaround) I have used might also help you...

Best regards,

Wojtek