On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 09:56:06PM -0400, Wakko Warner wrote:
> I attempted to create a 4gb sparce file with dd.  It failed.
> I created one that was 2.1gb in size which worked.  Then I appeneded more
> junk to the end of the file making it over 2.2gb.
>
> doing an ls -l shows:
> ls: x: Value too large for defined data type
>
> NOTE: this worked in 2.4.0-test6 and I believe it stopped working around
> test8, but I'm not sure.  May have been around test7.

        Your userspace tools are not using LFS compliant
        open(O_LARGEFILE), and stat64()  methods.

        EXT2 got corrected to do LFS limited open() handling
        at correct limit (2G-1) at around that time.

        There still lurks some mis-compliance issues at
        read() and write() which are still allowed to
        go over 2G-1 marker without the fd having
        O_LARGEFILE flag.

/Matti Aarnio