Ingo Molnar wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>
> > [...] These types of optimizations are possible when people have
> > acccess to Intel Red Cover documents, [...]
>
> optimizing away AGIs has been documented by public Intel PDFs for years:
>
>  [...] Since the Pentium processor has two integer pipelines, a register
>  used as the base or index component of an effective address calculation
>  (in either pipe) causes an additional clock cycle if that register is the
>  destination of either instruction from the immediately preceding clock
>  cycle. This effect is known as Address Generation Interlock (AGI).
>
> (ditto for the p6 core CPUs), and GCC (IIRC) tries to avoid AGI conflicts
> as much as possible. (and this kind of stuff belongs into the compiler)

Odd.  When I profile Linux with EMON, I see tons of them.  Anywhere code
does

mov    eax, addr
mov    [addr], ebx

one will get generated.  Even something as simple as:

mov    eax, addr
inc    eax
dec    eax
mov    [addr]. ebx

will avoid an AGI (since the other pipeline has now been allowed a few
clocks to fetch the address and load it).

Jeff