On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 16:23 -0300, Horst H. von Brand wrote:
> Bernd Petrovitsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
> > I don't know about others but I wouldn't write an offer with a fixed
> > price for "look into assembler dumps, reverse engineer it and find an
> > infringement on a list of given patents" so the patent holder has to
> > list the patents and the amount of my time to invest (and then he will
> > get a price for it and no guarantees of success).
>
> And them you'd have to testify (as an expert witness, AFAIU). Having

Probably if
-) I actually found something and
-) the patent holder also believes in it (and he will - IMHO very
probably -
     pay another expert to verify the findings) and
-) the patent holder actually persues the infringements and
-) the law suit goes that far and.

> legally demostrable expertise in the area isn't easy, I suppose.

At least in .at you need some kind of "official approval" to become an
"expert in court" (in German: "Gutachter" - Is "assessor" the correct
translation? http://dict.leo.org/ lists 9 different words).
Actually this is a somewhat different job ....

        Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services