> Looking at that series it seems that the intention is to eventually
> remove the i2c_device_id argument from probe completely? That would
> cause a lot of code churn. It would also require every driver that needs
> to differentiate between models to pretty much duplicate the matching
> logic performed by the core.

I am with you on the "duplicated matching" issue which I personally
don't like at all.

That being said, it is the de-facto standard way of doing it currently.
If this is going to be changed, it should be done on a BIG SCALE.

Currently, I2C has a special way of passing matches. Because I see more
important topics to work on, I personally could leave it as is. But if
people want I2C to behave as the rest of the kernel, this is fine with
me if they are committed to do it 100%. Replacing the current I2C
special way with another I2C special way is no option. The correct path
IMO is to bring I2C in line with the rest of the kernel and fix the
kernel.