> [...]
> Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
> Subject: Re: Free Linux Driver Development!
> Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 22:37:33 +0100

> First off, compliments to this announcement, I liked it very much!
>
> Some comment regarding those "volunteers, waiting to get some real work" :)
>
>> > OK, but why isn't your army of volunteers fixing them?
>
>> They don't know about them, or they don't have the hardware to test?
>> Seriously, let the kernel-janitor's project know about any issues you
>> have and they will be glad to jump on it.  Those people are just
>> chomping a the bit to do something a bit bigger than "compiler warning
>> cleanups" :)
>
> So many times i have seen good ideas brought up, kernel patches being
> written, posted to lkml, being developed outside mainline for a while and
> then being forgotten some time later due to lack of energy of some individual
> to get this into mainline.
>
> If there is an noticeably number of talented programmers (unfortunately, i`m
> not) , so why not "feeding" them the right way ? Where is those public and
> transparent and moderated Linux-Kernel "ToDo"- or "Keep an eye on"-list,
> sorted by priorities, with sort of a "vote for this feature"-button, so those
> guys have something they can pick up? There is so much great stuff and ideas
> out there where they could put their work onto or getting involved, it just
> needs to be found or sort of being "managed" a little bit better.
>
> For myself, i`m waiting for so quite some things to get "one step further",
> but they are more or less tied to some single individuals, for which you just
> cannot send some "hey, what`s up with your project"-message every second day.
> The interest in many nice projects often is quite low and evolution quite
> slow, but not only because of the fact that they aren`t great, but more
> because of not getting widely known. It`s not always missing specs, it`s also
> some missing noise/feedback for different features or missing of some
> "driving force" to bring things forward. How should one developer know that
> somebody needs a feature if those who could probably need it don`t request
> it? Maybe just because of the fact that they even imagine that such feature
> would be possible ?
>
> Where is those efforts for fixing/integrating fantastic cowloop?
> What about badram/badmem patch ?
> Compressed Ccaching ?
> Somebody helping with development of dm-loop or extend loop.c to support more
> than 256 devices ?
> Replacement of proprietary, unstable and unelegant vmware-lopp for being able
> to mount vmware .vmdk files ? Internal Spec for this is open, dm-userspace
> could be some infrastructure for this, but the author seems to have other
> priorities....
> dm-cow, zfs-fuse - anybody ?
> Kernel based target for AoE (Ata over Ethernet) ?  (there are two independent
> implementations, but both got stuck at some early experimental stage)

A quick answer for philosophers:
               <http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7272>

For example, i don't know if somebody volunteered to be a bug-buddy in
google, see Andrew's 2.6.20-rc6-mm1 announcement. It seems no, as he
still forwards bugzilla reports to developers/maintainers.

I myself am new. But anyway, i can write a little bit of HOWTO

-- effectively handle (among others) LKML, to break free from myths,

-- to not afraid emacs as good editor for issues like symbol-searching (TAGS),
   whitespace, spell (typos) and such,

-- having linux tree up-today with small bandwidth: mirrors, patches, quilt

of course if such things prevent people from participating.

[:(ot) As for Greg's message, imho somebody was bored. There is plenty  ;]
[: of work *in* the kernel, not only in drivers/ related part of it...  ;]

> Just my 2 cents.

So my.

Greetings.
--
-o--=O`C  info emacs : not found  /. .\ ( is there any reason to live? )
 #oo'L O  info make  : not found      o (    yes --- R.I.P. FSF+RMS    )