On Sat, Jul 02, 2016 at 04:55:49PM -0700, frowand.l...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
>       connector_1: connector_1 {
>               spi1 {
>                       target_phandle = <&spi_1>;
>               };
>       };
>
> };
>
> &spi_1 {
>       ethernet-switch@0 {
>               compatible = "micrel,ks8995m";
>       };
> };
>

> $ cat spi_codec_overlay_with_connector.dts
> /dts-v1/;
>
> /plugin/;
>
> &connector_1 {
>       spi1 {
>               codec@1 {
>                       compatible = "ti,tlv320aic26";
>               };
>       };
> };
>

> The result is that the overlay fixup for spi1 on the cape will
> relocate the spi1 node to /connector_1 in the host tree, so
> this does not solve the connector linkage yet:
>
> -- chunk from the decompiled board_with_connector.dtb:
>
>       __symbols__ {
>               connector_1 = "/connector_1";
>       };
>
> -- chunk from the decompiled spi_codec_overlay_with_connector.dtb:
>
>       fragment@0 {
>               target = <0xffffffff>;
>               __overlay__ {
>                       spi1 {
>                               codec@1 {
>                                       compatible = "ti,tlv320aic26";
>                               };
>                       };
>               };
>       };
>       __fixups__ {
>               connector_1 = "/fragment@0:target:0";
>       };
>

> After applying the overlay, the codec@1 node will be at
> /connector_1/spi1/codec@1.  What I want is for that node
> to be at /spi1/codec@1.
>

> #----- magic new syntax
>
> What I really want is some way to tell dtc that I want to do one
> level of dereferencing when resolving the path of device nodes
> contained by the connector node in the overlay dts.
>
> Version 1 of this email suggested using dtc magic to do this extra
> level of dereferencing.  This version of the email has changed to
> have the kernel code that applies the overlay do the extra level
> of dereferencing.
>
> The property "connector-socket" tells the kernel overlay code
> that this is a socket.  The overlay code does not actually
> do anything special as a result of this property; it is simply
> used as a sanity check that this node really is a socket.  The
> person writing the mother board .dts must provide the
> target_phandle property, which points to a node responsible for
> some of the pins on the connector.
>
> The property "connector-plug" tells the kernel overlay code
> that each child node in the overlay corresponds to a node in the
> socket, and the socket will contain one property that is
> a phandle pointing to the node that is the target of that child

I don't see any advantage to allowing connectors anywhere in the tree:
pretty much by definition a connector is a "whole board" concept.  So
I think instead they should all go in a new special node under the
root, say /connectors.  With that done, you don't need the
connector-socket tag any more.

>               spi1 {
>                       target_phandle = <&spi_1>;
>               };
>       };
>
> };
>
> &spi_1 {
>       ethernet-switch@0 {
>               compatible = "micrel,ks8995m";
>       };
> };
>

> $ cat spi_codec_overlay_with_connector_v2.dts
>
> /dts-v1/;
>
> /plugin/;
>
> &connector_1 {
>       connector-plug;
>       compatible = "11-pin-accessory";
>
>       spi1 {
>               codec@1 {
>                       compatible = "ti,tlv320aic26";
>               };
>       };
> };
>

> The spi_codec_overlay_with_connector_v2.dtb __fixups__ information
> is unchanged from the previous example, but the kernel overlay
> code will do the correct extra level of dereferencing when it
> detects the connector-plug property in the overlay.
>
> The one remaining piece that this patch does not provide is how
> the overlay manager (which does not yet exist in the mainline
> tree) can apply an overlay to two different targets.  That
> final step should be a trivial change to of_overlay_create(),
> adding a parameter that is a mapping of the target (or maybe
> even targets) in the overlay to different targets in the
> active device tree.
>
> This seems like a more straight forward way to handle connectors.
>
> First, ignoring pinctrl and pinmux, what does everyone think?
>
> Then, the next step is whether pinctrl and pinmux work with this method.
> Pantelis, can you point me to a good example for
>
>   1) an in-tree board dts file
>   2) an overlay file (I am assuming out of tree) that applies to the board
>   3) an in-tree .dtsi file that would provide the same features as
>      the overlay file if it was included by the board dts file
>
> It should be easier to discuss pinctrl and pinmux with an example.

Hrm.. so I think you're trying to stick too close to the existing
overlay model.  Something I've always disliked about that model is
that the plugin can overlay *anywhere* in the master tree, meaning it
must have intimate knowledge of that tree.  Instead of using the
global __symbols__, there should be a set of "symbols" local to the
specific connector (socket), which are the *only* points which the
plugin is allowed to overlay or reference.

Given that we're going to need new code to support this new connector
model, I think we should also fix some of the uglies in the current
overlay format while we're at it.

I have to run now, but I'll try to send out a counter-proposal
shortly.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson