On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 11:46:46PM +0000, Simon Arlott wrote:

 > MVIAC3_2 doesn't enable X86_GOOD_APIC

which is pretty irrelevant unless you have a dual C7.

 > , try M686 (Pentium-Pro) - but that won't enable MMX and SSE (via
 > -march=c3-2).

If gcc generated SSE/MMX instructions that would be a bug. (hint: it doesn't).

 > These CPUs support SSE2 too...

The SSE/SSE2/SSE3 etc support for userspace is unconditional. The context
switch paths will
save/restore the registers regardless of the CPU you've compiled your kernel
for.
The only SSE code in the kernel is the memcpy code (which wasn't that big a win
when
I last tried it on VIA due to their poor memory bandwidth), and the RAID code,
which
gets tested at runtime rather than compile time.

 > Also, for the C7 you'll want CRYPTO_DEV_PADLOCK_* (Hardware Crypto Devices,
 > Support for VIA PadLock ACE) and HW_RANDOM_VIA (VIA HW Random Number
 > Generator support).

Yes. But these aren't dependant on any CPU config options.

                Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk