Rafael, I am trying to understand try_to_freeze_tasks(), and I have a
couple of questions.

        static inline int is_user_space(struct task_struct *p)
        {
                return p->mm && !(p->flags & PF_BORROWED_MM);
        }

This doesn't look right. First, an exiting task has ->mm == NULL after
do_exit()->exit_mm(). Probably not a problem. However, PF_BORROWED_MM
check is racy without task_lock(), so we can have a false positive as
well. Is it ok? We can freeze aio_wq prematurely.

        try_to_freeze_tasks:

                do_each_thread(g, p) {

                        if (p->state == TASK_TRACED && frozen(p->parent)) {

Why we are doing this check outside of "if (is_user_space(p))" ?
Not a bug of course, but looks strange.

                                cancel_freezing(p);
                                continue;

Is it right? Shouldn't we increment "todo" counter?

                        }
                        if (is_user_space(p)) {
                                if (!freeze_user_space)
                                        continue;

                                /* Freeze the task unless there is a vfork
                                 * completion pending
                                 */
                                if (!p->vfork_done)
                                        freeze_process(p);

Racy. do_fork(CLONE_VFORK) first does copy_process() which puts 'p' on
the task list and unlocks tasklist_lock. This means that 'p' is visible
to try_to_freeze_tasks(), and p->vfork_done == NULL. try_to_freeze_tasks()
sets TIF_FREEZE.

Now, do_fork() continues, sets ->vfork_done, p goes to user space, notices
the fake signal and goes to refrigerator while its parent is blocked on
"struct completion vfork". Freezing failed.

So, shouldn't we do

        if (p->vfork_done)
                cancel_freezing(p);

instead?