On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 05:59:17PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 03:09:02PM -0600, Ross Zwisler wrote:
> > -   if (RADIX_DAX_TYPE(entry) == RADIX_DAX_PMD)
> > +   if ((unsigned long)entry & RADIX_DAX_PMD)
>
> Please introduce a proper inline helper that mask all the possible type
> bits out of the radix tree entry, and use them wherever you do the
> open cast.

Yea, this is messy.  I tried having temporary flags, but that's basically
where we came from with the old 'type' thing which used to be
RADIX_DAX_PTE|RADIX_DAX_PMD.

After playing with it a bit it seems like the cleanest way is to have a little
flag test helper, like this:

static int dax_flag_test(void *entry, int flags)
{
        return (unsigned long)entry & flags;
}

                /*
                 * Besides huge zero pages the only other thing that gets
                 * downgraded are empty entries which don't need to be
                 * unmapped.
                 */
                if (pmd_downgrade && dax_flag_test(entry, RADIX_DAX_HZP))
                        unmap_mapping_range(mapping,
                                (index << PAGE_SHIFT) & PMD_MASK, PMD_SIZE, 0);

etc.   Please let me know if this is undesirable for some reason.  Vs keeping
the flags in a local variable, this is good because a) it doesn't require
callers to cast, and b) it makes operator precedence easy because the flags
are a param, so no "flags & (flag1|flag2)" nesting, and c) we don't keep a
local variable that could get out of sync with 'entry'.