On some benchmarks (e.g. netperf with ioeventfd disabled), APICv
posted interrupts turn out to be slower than interrupt injection via

These patches save 40 cycles on kvm-unit-tests "inl" tests (1-2%), but I
suspect the effect is bigger on workloads that inject interrupts heavily.

Patches 1-2 are micro-optimization of the APICv vmentry code.

The interesting one is patch 3.  The aim is for APICv to not use
KVM_REQ_EVENT at all for interrupts, therefore turning APICv's weakness
(having to look at PIR on every vmentry) into a strength (because
checking PIR.ON is cheaper than processing KVM_REQ_EVENT).  I find that
the new code overall makes more sense than the old one, and I like that
more of the logic is contained within vmx_deliver_posted_interrupt and
vmx_sync_pir_to_irr.  KVM_REQ_EVENT did protect from mistakes, so the new
code is more delicate, but I still prefer that to duct tape. :)

Patches 4 and 5 are other cleanups.

Paolo Bonzini (5):
  KVM: x86: avoid atomic operations on APICv vmentry
  KVM: x86: do not scan IRR twice on APICv vmentry
  KVM: x86: do not use KVM_REQ_EVENT for APICv interrupt injection
  KVM: x86: remove unnecessary sync_pir_to_irr
  KVM: vmx: clear pending interrupts on KVM_SET_LAPIC

 arch/x86/kvm/lapic.h |  4 ++--