On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 11:56:18AM +0100, Ingo Molnar ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> * Evgeniy Polyakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Even if kevent has the same speed, it still allows to handle _any_
> > kind of events without any major surgery - a very tiny structure of
> > lock and list head and you can process your own kernel event in
> > userspace with timers, signals, io events, private userspace events
> > and others without races and invention of differnet hacks for
> > different types - _this_ is main point.
>
> did it ever occur to you to ... extend epoll? To speed it up? To add a
> new wait syscall to it? Instead of introducing a whole new parallel
> framework?

Yes, I thought about its extension more than a year ago before started
kevent, but epoll() is absolutely based on file structure and its
file_operations with poll methodt, so it is quite impossible to work
with sockets to implement network AIO. Eventually it had gathered a lot
of other systems - do we really want to have per process signalfs, timerfs
and so on - each simple structure must be bound to a file, which becomes
too cost.

--
        Evgeniy Polyakov