On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 11:58:17AM +0100, Ihar `Philips` Filipau ([EMAIL
PROTECTED]) wrote:
> On 3/3/07, Evgeniy Polyakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 08:20:26PM +0100, Ihar `Philips` Filipau
> >([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >> I'm not well versed in modern kernel development discussions, and
> >> since you have put the thing into the networked context anyway, can
> >> you please ask on lkml why (if they want threadlets solely for AIO)
> >> not to implement analogue of recv(*filedes*, b, l, MSG_DONTWAIT).
> >> Developers already know the inteface, socket infrastructure is already
> >> in kernel, etc. And it might do precisely what they want: access file
> >> in disk cache - just like in case of socket it does access recv buffer
> >> of socket. Why bother with implicit threads/waiting/etc - if all they
> >> want some way to probe cache?
> >
> >Threadlets can work with any functionas a base - if it would be
> >recv-like it will limit possible case for parallel programming, so you
> >can code anything in threadlets - it is not only about IO.
> >

> Ingo defined them as "plain function calls as long as they do not block".
>
> But when/what function could block?
>
> (1) File descriptors. Read. If data are in cache it wouldn't block.
> Otherwise it would. Write. If there is space in cache it wouldn't
> block. Otherwise it would.
>
> (2) Network sockets. Recv. If data are in buffer they wouldn't block.
> Otherwise they would. Send. If there is space in send buffer it
> wouldn't block. Otherwise it would.
>
> (3) Pipes, fifos & unix sockets. Unfortunately gain nothing since the
> reliable local communication used mostly for control information
> passing. If you have to block on such socket it most likely important
> information anyway. (e.g. X server communication or sql query to SQL
> server). (Or even less important here case of shell pipes.) And most
> users here are all single threaded and I/O bound: they would gain
> nothing from multi-threading - only PITA of added locking.
>
> What I'm trying to get to: keep things simple. The proposed
> optimization by Ingo does nothing else but allowing AIO to probe file
> cache - if data there to go with fast path. So why not to implement
> what the people want - probing of cache? Because it sounds bad? But
> they are in fact proposing precisely that just masked with "fast
> threads".

There can be other parts than just plain recv/read syscalls - you can
create a logical processing entity and if it will block (as a whole, no
matter where), the whole processing will continue as a new thread.
And having different syscall to warm cache can end up in cache flush in
between warming and processing itself.

--
        Evgeniy Polyakov