Uwe Bugla wrote:
Hi folks,
the floppy mount error I mentioned is gone now in 2.6.21-rc2, and my kernel is
smaller. Good decision to rip out Stephane's stuff, Linus!
As I did not get a reply from Andrew I hope that the buggy stuff residing in
2.6.20-mm1 ( freezing my apache services
- I already mentioned the problem some days ago - mm2 I did not try yet ) will
never be pushed into vanilla mainline.
I owe some old CDROM and CDRW devices manufactured by TEAC (bought somewhen in
1999): CDR 540 and CDRW 54.
Those old CD devices sometimes get confused with drive seek errors and status
errors shown in dmesg.
The newer DVD devices (LG reading device and Yamakawa burning device) do not
show those errors at all.
As I have finished an enourmous project 6 weeks ago (transforming some 500
Audio CDs to MP3 format
with kaudiocreator and lame 3.97 (320 kbit quality - preset insane) and then
burning the material on DVDs)
those old devices were an incredible help in some cases where the newer DVD
devices refused to read some audio
CDs without errors. That's why I do not want to kick them off at all. Never had
those troubles with kernel 2.6.19 and former ones.

Other than wanting to stay current, is there a reason why you need to go to a newer kernel to do this process? Would it be an option just to run on a kernel which works for the moment?

Assuming that you don't want to use these drives unless you can't read a CD any other way, would it be practical to (a) move these drives to another machine and run and old kernel, (b) try a newer CD (not DVD) reader, or (c) install one or both of these antiques in a USB external enclosure which would allow you to reinsert the drive rather than reboot?

It may take a while for this problem to be identified, I doubt there are many around for developers to test. If I have one in the "old junk" closet anyone is welcome to it, but I have donated a lot of built from parts machines to various people and causes, so anything that old is unlikely to be found.

Dmesg 1 says on my AMD machine with a CDR540 as /dev/hdd during boot process:
hdd: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdd: media error (bad sector): error=0x34 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x03
}
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
ATAPI device hdd:
  Error: Medium error -- (Sense key=0x03)
  (reserved error code) -- (asc=0x02, ascq=0x00)
  The failed "Read 10" packet command was:
  "28 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
end_request: I/O error, dev hdd, sector 64
Buffer I/O error on device hdd, logical block 8
hdd: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdd: media error (bad sector): error=0x34 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x03
}
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
ATAPI device hdd:
  Error: Medium error -- (Sense key=0x03)
  (reserved error code) -- (asc=0x02, ascq=0x00)
  The failed "Read 10" packet command was:
  "28 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
end_request: I/O error, dev hdd, sector 64
Buffer I/O error on device hdd, logical block 8

But even more crucial is this one:
Dmesg 2 says on the Intel machine with a TEAC CDRW54 as /dev/hdd:
hdd: status error: status=0x7f { DriveReady DeviceFault SeekComplete
DataRequest CorrectedError Index Error }
hdd: status error: error=0x7f { IllegalLengthIndication EndOfMedia
AbortedCommand MediaChangeRequested LastFailedSense=0x07 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
For about 1 second the whole system hangs while /dev/hdd is executing some kind
of reinitialization, just like as if you unconnect
the data and the 12 V / 6V cable and reconnect them again while the machine is
up and running.
For a DVB-S record f. ex. the breakdown of the recording can be one consequence.
Question: Can someone reading this please confirm these errors? Please take old
CD devices to find out, not newer ones or even DVD devices!
I am using the standard IDE driver with the following chipsets: Intel ICH4 and
SIS 5513. And please take time, as these crucial errors do not happen
immediately, but about 4 times in about 8 - 10 hours while the machine is up
and running.

Yours sincerely and thanks for all your efforts

Uwe
P. S.: I do not think this is a hardware error as I did not have those problems
with kernels <= 2.6.19.

--
Bill Davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>